What causes multiple recurrent seizures?

Nov 2013

my father 65 years old had a stroke back in XXXXXXX 2013 they gave him the shot they give stroke victims and with in days he was back to normal like nothing happened until late January 2014 he had a seizure and his motor skills were impaired he was unable to answer simple questions but was mobile just confused the docs put him on anti seizure meds and the seizures continued so they decided to put him in an induced coma after a couple of days they brought him back to fast and the seizures continued so they put him back under for a couple more days and when they brought him out of the coma he was unresponsive and a day later they took out his breathing tube then 20 minutes later he died and they all acted like oh well it happens is this common?
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Probably a case of refractory status epilepticus Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. It is unfortunate to note that your father passed away after getting recurrent seizures. Looking at the symptoms, he seemed to suffered from status epilepticus, where multiple seizures occur without regaining consciousness in between the seizure episodes. They are difficult to control and may require anaesthetic agents (such as proposal and thiopentone) to control the seizures. In refractory cases of status epilepticus, there is high mortality (death rate). It is possible that he died due to uncontrolled seizures, or an unrelated complication such as aspiration pneumonia (lung infection) or pulmonary embolism (blood clot in lung vessels). I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG: