What causes mucus discharge with passing of motion?

Feb 2013

Hello Sir, My name is XXXX. I has asked question regarding my kid XXXXXXX 2.5 years old when she was suffering from loose motions. Your suggestions helped me to ask our regular Pediatrician to recommend Stool tests. Now she is OK. Earlier her stool was sent for investigation, showed PUS 6-8 HSF, reduce in substances positive, and blood occurent positive. Doctor changed medicine from Oflaxin & Orindazole to Bactrim. And also her culture tested NEGATIVE. We stopped her medication Bactrim on 27th XXXXXXX after used for 6 days. Though her motions are controlled and she is active, she is going for motions 3-4 times daily though motion is normal. But whenever she passes for motions, I observed some PUS (It is in white color like banana slice mix, I hope I explained and named it correctly) in very little. Is it normal after motions are controlled OR is it due to some infection/bacteria still available? Could you suggest or guide us in right direction?
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Observe her stools further. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. Passing normal consistency stools 3 to 4 times in a day may be normal in kids. But if the pus(mucus) like substance is increasing in stools, if stool is watery or foul smelling or if it is blood stained then it is suggestive infection. Closely observe her stools for consistency, frequency and for any abnormal findings such as blood, foul smelling or excess pus and if you find anything wrong consult the pediatrician. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.