What causes mucous secretions with blood traces?

for the past month ive been waking up throughout the night having to spit up this morning when I look in the tissue I spit in I noticed it had traces of blood I haven't slept trough the night for a month now its kind of weird I don't know how to explain it
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer: different possible causes Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic Persistent spitting may be related to mucous secretions in the throat that can occur in persons with post nasal drip due to sinusitis or due to excess saliva. Excess saliva can occur in different circumstances such as in reflux, side effect of some medication, infections in the mouth, exposure to toxic substances, sinus disease and neurological disease. Irritation and inflammation of any aspect of the mouth, throat, lungs, sinuses can cause the blood that you are now seeing. To determine the source of the excess salivation and blood your doctor would do the following: (1) take a history to determine if you have any symptoms related to allergies, reflux disease,infections in the mouth or any other illnesses (2)examine your mouth and throat (3) imaging may be needed to take a deeper look at upper part of the lung (bronchoscopy) or esophagus. It would be best to visit your doctor for an evaluation. Treatment would depend on the cause. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions