What causes mouth ulcers in Soft Palate?

ENT Specialist
I have multiple mouth ulcers in Soft Palate, Area Below the tongue and also inside the lips both sides.Around 30+ mouth ulcers to be precise. I have had mouth ulcer problem as long as i can remember. But usually i used to get 3-4 maximum. I never got 20-30 at a time. What could be the reason of this ? BTW, my ulcers are recovering and i feel much better than 3-4 days ago. I was worried as some friends suggested Oral Ulcers could be a sign of Herpes or HIV. Some more information - My life style has been very bad - 1) I work late at nights. Many times up all night. 2) Eat junk food and fried stuff. 3) Have had GERD and acidity in past. 4) One day before catching sores i had eaten fried, spicy stuff. 5) Had Unprotected Cunnilingus with a person with unknown HIV status. I got myself tested for Blood, Sugar and TSH on Saturday when the ulcers were at their peak. All reports were fine. Lymphocytes count was 33% and all other factors good. Eosoniphil count 10. Rgds, XXXX
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Unlikely to be HIV or Herpes Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. There can be various causes of mouth ulcers and mouth ulcers as the only presentation of Herpes or HIV is usually not the case. Aphthous ulceration is a more common cause of ulceration in the oral cavity. Gastro-intestinal disturbances, dietary deficiencies and altered bowel habits are some of the other causes. If you have a history of recurrent ulcerations, the possibility of the causes other than Herpes or HIV is more. Please get a proper dental and ENT check up done as any focus of infection in the teeth or ENT region can also be a reason. Use of mouthwash and dietary changes like use of high fibre diet and probiotics also helps. Kenacort gel for local application will be effective in case of ulcers and will promote healing as well reduce pain. Feel free to ask another query. Regards
Follow-up: What causes mouth ulcers in Soft Palate? 21 minutes later
Thanks Dr. I started treatment and it comprised of Pantoprazole Famotidine Rinidzol ( to handle Amoebic Infection ) Multi Vitamin + Folic Acid Tablet I started the medicines on Saturday evening and today most of the tongue is clear ( Not white ) and some ulcers have gone away. Most ulcers have reduced severity and some do not pain at all. So was this a severe acidity outburst ? Something due to GERD ? I have been advised completely non-acidic diet and lots of water. Previously i was kind of addicted to Coca Cola. I have completely stopped it now, Can carbonated beverages, bad diet and late night working lead to these ulcers ?
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: A healthy life style definitely helps Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. Yes all these things can lead to mouth ulcers. Maintaining a healthy life style is very necessary for all especially those with c/o recurrent mouth ulcers. Avoid spicy and junk food, carbonated drinks. A high fibre diet with probiotics always helps. These changes will help in long term control of the problem. Feel free to ask another query. Regards