What causes morning stiffness and pain in fingers, hands, neck and back?

Excellent

Rheumatologist
Question
the past month I have hAD AWFUL MORNING STIFFNESS.MY FEET ESECIALLY IN THE MORNING HURT VERY BAD.I KEEP GETTING SHARP SHOOTING PAINS IN MY FINGERS AND HANDS AND MY FEET.NECK AND BACK ARE VERY PAINFULL ALSO ALONG WITH KNEES AND HIPS
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam , Thank you for posting your query on HCM. Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that even Fibromyalgia can lead to all the symptoms that you are complaining of but since you have a positive history that your mother was having Lupus it is necessary to investigate from that point of view . A metabolic profile including Serum Calcium levels , Vitamin D levels are necessary for you since knee pain and hip pain is present . It is always important to rule out rheumatoid arthritis in patients complaining of morning stiffness so a RF , Anti CCP anti body is highly advisable . In view of Lupus in your family ANA is the recommended investigation , the sharp shooting pains that you get can be a manifestation of neuropathy so it becomes important to rule it out . Till then you can a paracetamol for pain relief after consulting your treating doctor or as the medicine he has advised you . Take care. Dr. Shruti