What causes morning cough with breathlessness?

I am Mrs V, 62 yrs, have daily waking up morning cough, for sure, every day, for past 3 years, with little sputum. During the course of the day I get coughing for no reason, at least 6 to 8 times and also night even when sleeping. Cough occurence cannot be predicted. Flem is there which is white in colour. Cough lasts 1 minute or less at any given time, with some breathlessnes. ECG is normal. No heart problem. Taken arythromycin tablet and homeopathic etc in the past whenever aggravated problem persisted, but no avail. Should I go to PULMONOLOGIST? WE ARE a family of pet dog lovers. My children and husband however do not have cough PROBLEM LIKE ME, at all. Dr, PLEASE URGENTLY prescribe some good medicines asap by return mail. I am 72kg weight taking light BP medicines and well under control. Allergic to sulpha drugs.
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get the advised investigations done Detailed Answer: Hi Ma'am, Thanks for your query. Your symptoms are suggestive of either, Chronic sinus problem; allergy (perhaps pets, worms infestation or, microfilarial infection); early asthma; Chronic Bronchitis; or, drug-induced (Cressar- though less likely). Get blood checkup done including, CBC, Eosinophil count, AEC and microfilaria; Pulmonary functions test and chest X-ray. These test-reports will identify the real cause of your chronic cough. Give a 2-weeks' trial of anti-allergic drugs : Levoceterizine + Montelukast; Codeine cough syrup and, avoidance of contact with pets. See the response. Improvement in symptoms will confirm allergy/early asthma. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with me; order required tests, and- based on the reports- will arrive at a certain diagnosis and prescribe suitable treatment as advised. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal