What causes minor discomfort in testicles during cold days?

General Surgeon
Hi. I've had some minor discomfort radiating from my right testicle to my lower abdomen, off and on, for about three days now. It's not severe, but it is uncomfortable and after 3 days I'm wondering whether I need to get it checked. I've examined myself after a hot shower and it feels like the right testicle may be just slightly larger, and maybe a bit more sensitive to the touch, but nothing really noticeable. It's most uncomfortable in the morning, before I've gotten up to go the bathroom, or when I'm out in the cold. Otherwise, I can forget about it until it flares up again.
Posted Wed, 25 Dec 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Testicle inflammation. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Your testicle reacts on cold because low temperature causes muscles spasm and can lead to testis retraction to the inguinal canal. Such symptoms can appear due to testicle inflammation, epidydimis, urinary tract infection or even inguinal hernia. I suggest you to visit urologist, have testicle and groin ultrasound, blood work and urine analysis. In case of inflammation, antibiotics are necessary. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow-up: What causes minor discomfort in testicles during cold days? 17 minutes later
I keep reading about testicular torsion - how would I know if that's what is going on? Would the pain be more severe or longer lasting? Would there be nausea or vomiting? Is that a pain that would come and go, or would it be constant?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Testicular torsion gives extremely strong pain associated with swelling, redness of the testis. Nausea, vomiting, cold sweats or even loss of consciousness can appear. Such pain would force you to visit a doctor right away. So this is not a testicular torsion. Such pain does not come and go. Regards.