What causes minor chest discomfort, loss of appetite and heartburn after alcohol consumption?

Hello I have the following symptoms Minor chest discomfort center & right of chest. Occasional minor stabbing pain in right of chest Loss of appetite Nausea but no vomiting Occasional heartburn Over indulged 3 days ago on beer & steak Have had this discomfort on & off for 6 weeks a bit more since I over indulged
Posted Sun, 15 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: over -indulgence is likely cause of your symptoms Detailed Answer: Hello, I have read your query. The over indulgence on beer and steak seems obvious. This is likely causing your symptoms currently. As you know, over indulgence on beer causes dehydration and electrolyte imbalance in the body. Sometimes so much, that it causes chest discomfort, loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting. I suggest that you abstain from alcohol completely now for sometime. Take plenty of fluids orally. We need to get back the water and electrolyte balance to normalcy again. Stick to bland diet for some time like oatmeal, corn flakes, vegetable salads and lots of fruits. Avoid spicy food and fatty food as well. You could drink energy drinks that contain electrolytes like Electral or ORS water. Rest well. Take simple antacids like Capsule omeprazole 20mg on empty stomach for a period of 7 to 10 days. This is available over the counter. It takes care of gastric inflammation if any, and helps in digestion process. This is not a serious medical condition. However, once your symptoms have subsided, I advise you to take an Electrocardiogram on an elective basis to check the heart. Hope this information helps you. Get well soon.
Follow-up: What causes minor chest discomfort, loss of appetite and heartburn after alcohol consumption? 5 minutes later
Someone suggested omiprazole
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: did you take Omeprazole? Detailed Answer: Hello, Yes, I was suggesting the same to you - Capsule omeprazole 20mg on empty stomach for a period of 7 to 10 days. Have you tried taking it? Does it help you? It helps most of my patients. Please take the medicine and look for improvement in your symptoms. Regards,