What causes minor changes in an EKG?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Question
I just had a EKG as a pre op for knee surgery. They said it showed minor changes. Although they said not to be concerned, they want me to get another one. Should I be concerned and what would cause the changes?
Posted Thu, 16 Jan 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following suggestions... Detailed Answer: Hi, You are saying to have high blood pressure well controlled through medications. The minor changes shown in your EKG could be related to: - low potassium levels (have you checked blood potassium recently?) - hypertensive cardiomyopathy (caused by hypertension) - ischemic heart disease If your doctors decided to have another EKG, it was to determine whether the minor changes are related to any possible heart problem or it is just functional. All the best! Dr.Bardha Feel free to ask me other questions you might have! I'd be glad to assist you further!