What causes milky discharge from the breast?

Question
I got some milky discharge from both of my breast, i had my last period on 10th XXXXXXX and it was on time.I am worried. Am i pregnant?
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Pregnancy is unlikely Detailed Answer: the most common cause of breast milk is high prolactin ie hormonal disturbance . pl get one blood prolactin and TSH done fasting . pregnancy is a remote possibility since you recently had menses . you can also do a blood preg test to be very sure. this can be treated easily with tablet cabergolin

Follow-up: What causes milky discharge from the breast? 13 hours later
Thank you. One more thing, few days back, for ten days I was taking a medicine RAB D due to low pressure, stomach problem and tablet Astymin Forte. Then I changed RAB D to PAN-D and having it daily twice for 7 days now. can it be the result of the medicines?? i did a preg test today at home with morning urine and it came negative. waiting for your reply.

Brief Answer: Medications for acidity Detailed Answer: these are both medications for acidity and have no impact on breast milk. thyroid sometimes reacts with prolactin so I asked for both the tests. since the preg test is neg relax and the milk problem can be solved easily with tablets.

Follow-up: What causes milky discharge from the breast? 21 hours later
Okay thank you. i also want to know at what stage of pregnancy do women lactate generally?

Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 5 days later
Brief Answer: Varies Detailed Answer: typically lactation is seen after delivery bit some discharge might be seen in the nineth mth. but on occasions it's seen as early as 5 mths. milk discharge outside pregnancy is called galactorrhea and can interfere with conception