What causes mild rise in indirect bilirubin levels?

Hi Doctor, I did a master health checkup yesterday and found my Bilirubin levels raised up. Bilirubin (Total) = 1.32 mg/dl, Bilirubin (Direct) = 0.41 mg/dl. I also have pus cells and granular casts found in urine. I have right renal calculus of 4.6mm. Please suggest my severity to my liver damage / infection. Can this be cured naturally ? Or do I have to take further tests or visit Hepatologist?
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hello Mr XXXXXXX Thank you for the query. Well your blood reports are normal including liver function test reports except for mild rise in bilirubin levels. You have mild rise in indirect bilirubin levels which can occur in many people who have mild impaired ability to excrete bilirubin by the liver (Gilberts syndrome) which does not impair liver functions or any implications in future. So need not worry about them. Only if your family has history of significant liver disease may need further evaluation. It cannot be cured at it is usually a genetic (inherited ) problem but no treatment is even needed. No need for further tests usually but rarely getting a serum ceruloplasmin levels may be needed to be done (to rule out a very rare Wilson's disease) may be done. Usually no need to visit a hepatologist. And for your urine report worthwhile getting a urine culture done if normal repeat urine after 1 month and see. hope this answers your query. Best wishes