What causes mild lower back pain ?

General Surgeon
Hi, I am having lower back pain for some time now. Its very mild but always there. I am not sure if its a back pain in the first place. It started one month back with mild pain then become more strong and finally subsided into a dull pain. I am worried as this pain is still there. Its not annoying but the pain can be felt more like a pressure. Is this backpain or related to kidneys or Urinary problems? Is there any general antibiotic i can try first?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 10 minutes later

Back pain is quite common it can be due to variety of reasons, like back posture while working or sleeping, muscle spasm, any organic pathology of vertebrae. It can be simple low back pain due spasm of muscles.

So get the X-ray LS spine done to find the cause. Local application of some analgesic gel along with analgesics and multivitamins. Regular back muscles exercise is also required for relief.

Old UTI has nothing to do with the back pain. Deficiency of calcium & even trauma can also lead to low back ache.

Hope I have answered your question well to your satisfaction. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Wish you speedy recovery.
Follow-up: What causes mild lower back pain ? 40 minutes later

Thanks for the reply.

I had doubted UTI because recently my urine started smelling bad and is also foggy. I do drink a lot of water.

Anything related to Kidney or Liver or Appendix?

I will get my X-ray LS done too. Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 35 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

For UTI you should get urine tested & culture sensitivity done to find the reason & get it treated. It
is good you are taking plenty of liquids as liquid dilutes infection & decreases stone formation.

Kidney diseases have particular pattern of sign & symptoms, similarly appendicitis. Colicky pain associated with nausea or vomiting. As you are complaining only of low back pain. Only low back pain don`t occur due to liver, kidney & appendix abnormalities.

Hope I have answered your question well to your satisfaction.

Wish you speedy recovery.