What causes middle back pain?

I have had pain in the mid area of my back(just above my waist line but towards the left side away from my spinefor twelve days. It is not my spine and I do not believe that it is muscular. Heat does not help. It can be quite sharp at times. When lying down if I roll over it can be painful but not all the time. I do not know if it could be coming from my kidney. It is painful when I am sitting at the moment but isn't always as painful as it is at the moment. It has fluctuated in intensity over the twelve days.
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Needs work up, looks Neuromuscular Detailed Answer: Good day Miss XXXX! Thank you for asking. I am Dr s Khan and i would like to help you with your back pains for the last 12 days. Miss XXXX i want you to know that with that much surgirical intervention, and history of arthritis and superadded by weigh issues and geriatric age limitations and hypertension. the most likely cause of it seems as a neuro muscular origin for the pain. So i recommend a rheumatologist opinion for that. Now the pain location you mentioned might involve kidney though but it would need some work up with urine routine exam as a start. UTIs usually accompanied by rigors and chills and fever at your age though but it is never to be neglected unless ruled out. Take some orphenadrine or tizanidine with some acetaminophen and sign up to a weight loss programme approved by FDA as weight bearing is the work of this area you mentioned of pain and overburdening can be a very common reason for that issue. I hope you see it in a right perspective. Seek a rheumatologist opinion and he will advise some work up to sort out other possibilities. Rest till then and do as directed. It will resolve. Take good care of yourself and let me know if i may be of some service. DOnt forget to close the discussion please. Regards Khan