What causes midcycle spotting?

Mar 2013
I had my period twoo weeks ago. it started on the 9th of feb. and ended the 15th. but just the day before yesterday feb. 28th, I had some bleeding as if my period was starting again, then it just stopped. yesterday I had some slight bleeding again. is that normal? what should I do. i am sexually active in case that helps. i had protected sex a week after my period was over on the 22nd of feb.
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Brief Answer: AS BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Once in a while, midcycle spotting or bleeding is common. If it does not recur, do not worry. What is the normal length of your cycle normally ? Any kind of stress, tension, anxiety, weight gain or loss, erratic sleeping or eating habits, travelling, change in climate or altitude, smoking, drinking, drugs, medications can cause such spotting. If the problem persists or recurs, please consult a gynaecologist. You would want to rule out conditions such as polycystic ovarian syndrome ( PCOS ), hypothyroidism, polyp, fibroid, ovarian cyst etc. For that, please undergo a detailed internal evaluation - per vaginum and per speculum . Also, hormonal testing - FSH, LH, TSH, Prolactin, OGTT, DHEAS, Free testosterone, Lipid Profile. This workup will reveal a diagnosis. A pregnancy test is always a safeguard for any woman who is sexually active, and experiences altered spotting / menstrual bleeding. Go for the aforementioned workup only if the spotting occurs again. All the best Please feel free to discuss further.