What causes metallic taste in mouth?

I have recently developed a metallic taste in my mouth. What can cause that?
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your query I will like to tell you that metallic taste in mouth can be due to a variety of raesons , it will not be possible to give you one cause the can cause this . Metallic taste in mouth can be a form of Dysgeusia . Lots of medicines may cause this specially antibiotics like metronidazole , clarithromycin etc .may lead to this kind of symptoms . Hormonal changes also can give rise to such symptoms . Since you have undergone lots of dental work it may be the cause in your case . It can be due to the the dental work itself or the medicines they have given after that . I dont think you require any treatment for this , it generally settles on its own , you can suck on sweet toffees when you feel problematic due to this problem. Take care. Dr. Shruti