What causes metalic taste in mouth?

a 21 year old female complaining of metalic or metal taste in mouth what does it mean should i be worried shes my daughter .
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Dysgeusia Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query Metallic taste in the mouth can arise due to different reasons and most common is because of medications. Several medications can cause metallic taste in the mouth, if you can get back to me with the medications she is currently on I could tell you if any one of them is causing it However the other reason why she might be having metallic taste is the mouth is because of an upper respiratory infection like sore throat, cough and fever. If she currently has that then she will need evaluation and treatment with antibiotics Vitamin and mineral deficiency is also one of the reasons for metallic taste in the mouth especially zinc One more reason for metallic taste in the mouth is pregnancy. Many pregnant women often complain of metallic taste in the mouth Please visit your doctor if the problem persists. I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me Regards
Follow-up: What causes metalic taste in mouth? 9 minutes later
my daughter also thinks she might be pregnat but she was late on two periods and they were abnormal by being light and not lasting bt a cupple of days she took a test and it came back negative should she still be worried and a weight gain is present in the stomach region craving weired things and sleeping a lot out of the normal for her sensitive to heat to.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hello Detailed Answer: Thanks for getting back If she has delayed period with just spotting then I recommend that she takes the urine pregnancy test again and also an ultra sound scan done to rule out pregnancy. Craving of abnormal things and excessive fatigue and tiredness could also be a sign of vitmain and mineral deficiency, I recommend that she starts taking multivitamin pills, she can take an over the counter multi vitamin with zinc in it once a day. I wish your daughter good health Regards