What causes memory loss when suffering from schizophrenia?

Jun 2014

I was prescribed fluphenizine deconate in September 2004 and by January 2005 I was so ill I had to be hospitalized. I was accepted to hospital having Schizonphrenia(wrong spelling) . I knew I had to be in hospital because when I opened my mouth to speak a sentence I wld say one or two words and the rest of the sentence wld be out of my head and I had forgotten what I was to say. Looking back on that time of being in the hospital for 3 months I have very little memory of that time. As far as I am concerned I had amnesia but nowhere in my hospital file is amnesia even recorded. Side effects from that drug do not indicate amnesia. A psychiatrist told me that was a very old drug and I think the one & only psychiatrist that we have here was trying to kill me by overdosing me. I have obtained my hospital file but malpractice lawyers we do not have locally. What was actually happening with me when I could not remember things. As well things in my house were missing when I came home and I dont remember doing anything to these important things that r missing. I was also told by friends that came to visit me, they told me that they were not allowed to visit me. I lost 30 pounds during the 3 month hospital stay but I dont remember eating or not eating. I am just fine without fluphenizine deconate so why did that phsychiatrist prescribe that drug to me in the first place?
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Poor insight at time of episode Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for choosing healthcare magic First of all, few things about schizophrenia that would help you to understand the kind of illness you have. Schizophrenia is a mental disorder characterized by a breakdown of thought processes and by impaired emotional responses. Common symptoms include delusions like paranoid beliefs, hallucinations, disorganized thinking, and negative symptoms such as lack of emotion and lack of motivation. Schizophrenia causes significant social and work problems. It also lead to cognitive dysfunction that effect memory, logistic thinking, concentration. During episode, patients have poor insight, mean they do not know about the activity they do and not able to recall the activity. Same problems are with you. During psychotic episode, whatever you did like eating, meeting with your friends, your interaction with doctor or hospital staff etc, is difficult for you to recall due to poor insight at that time. This is all normally seen in schizophrenic patients. This condition is not amnesia. That why no one had mentioned amnesia in your record and you did not find amnesia as side effect of drug. It happened due to poor insight, not because of drug. If at age of 66, you are facing difficulty in recalling things, that may be due to age factor, underline dementia, due to sedative effect of drug or may be due to cognitive deterioration due to illness. I think with that answer you would be satisfied. In case you need further help, you can connect me. Regards Dr. Abhishek Kapoor Psychiatrist
Follow-up: What causes memory loss when suffering from schizophrenia? 8 hours later
The majority of time I DO not have schizophrenia. I dont have all that you mentioned above. It was the drug fluphenizine deconate gave me schizophrenia...and I would like another doctor to look at my question.
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Diagnosis depends upon mental examination Detailed Answer: HI I have mentioned the few symptoms of schizophrenia. Diagnosis also depends upon the mental status examination done by psychiatrist. If your psychiatrist prescribed you some antipsychotic, then there must have been some symptoms related to schizophrenia. Duration of treatment depends upon the illness. If a patient has illness for lesser time, she could be off medication after some time. In long duration of illness or where number of episodes are too much, treatment stay for long. In most of cases, patients feel better off medication, but this could increase the chances of relapse. To prevent relapse, sometime psychiatrist keep patient on low dose of antipsychotic. May be to prevent relapse your psychiatrist keep you on antipsychotic. I think that would help you to solve the problem Regards Dr. Abhishek Kapoor Psychiatrist
Follow-up: What causes memory loss when suffering from schizophrenia? 2 hours later
You are saying that I have schizophrenia.That is untrue. I have no schizophrenia. It was induced by prescribing me fluphenizine deconate. It is like the fact that when I was prescribed CPZand had Parkinson s effects. I was 35 then and I certainly did not have Parkinson's without the meds.
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Drugs never cause schizophrenia Detailed Answer: Hi Antipsychotics never induce schizophrenia. They help in improving the symptoms. Same thing was in your case, you got relief fluphenazine, but some time these drugs cause extra pyramidal side effects like parkinson, dytonia, akathisia etc. In your case, side effect is due to drugs which improved after leaving drugs. Remember these drugs don't cause schizophrenia. Regards Dr. Abhishek Kapoor Psychiatrist
Follow-up: What causes memory loss when suffering from schizophrenia? 17 minutes later
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: We can taper medicine if you have no symptoms now... Detailed Answer: I don't know much about that psychiatrist who treated you and how he worked. I just want to say that antipsychotic never induce psychosis. Diagnosis and treatment depends upon psychiatrist's observation about the patient. May be he misdiagnosed you or gave you overdose of drugs. That depends upon his knowledge, but in most of case due to psychotic episode patients do not remember the episode. Same may have happened with you. May be due to psychotic episode, you could not recall anything. I am pretty sure this was not amnesia. I think, there is no need to challenge diagnosis now. Due to improper documentation, it is difficult to rule out possibility of schizophrenia. If you are well since 2005, then you can gradually stop your drugs. In that case, there is no need of taking medication and you can spend your life without drugs. Regards Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Follow-up: What causes memory loss when suffering from schizophrenia? 35 hours later
In 1981 I had gone thru a very stressful time in my life and I was admitted to the best Psyche hospital in the Province. I was observed for 2 weeks before I was prescribed any medication. I went thru many tests during those 2 weeks and after the two weeks my diagnosis was an Affective Disorder. If I am diagnosed as Schizophrenic several years later....why would not an excellent teaching hospital pick up Schizophrenia in the 2 weeks that they observed me and only diagnosed me with an Affective disorder? This local psychiatrist prescribes medication without even looking at the patient. This has happened to me 2 times by the local one and only psychiatrist.
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Dont think about past diagnosis Detailed Answer: Hi I can understand your doubt, but in psychiatry, diagnosis never remain same. Sometime, a patient of affective disorder may later convert into schizophrenia or sometime schizophrenic get affective symptoms, in that we make diagnosis as schizo-affective disorder. That depend upon the observation at time of admission. May be in your case treating psychiatrist found something that may be towards schizophrenia. Even in affective disorder, psychiatrist use antipsychotic as mood stabilizer. Sometime, patient get some psychotic symptoms with depression or manic episode, then psychiatrist use antipsychotic to treatment the symptoms. May be, that psychiatrist did misdiagnosis, but after 23 years it is difficult for any psychiatrist to change the diagnosis. On basis of one affective episode and another psychotic episode, your diagnosis may have been towards either schizoaffective disorder or schizophrenia or manic episode with psychotic symptoms, but still you would be on antipsychotic. I think, in your case, there is no need to think about past diagnosis. If you are symptom free for last many years, after consultation with your psychiatrist, you can be drug free. Regards Dr. Abhishek Kapoor Psychiatrist