Ask a Dentist   »  

What causes lumps on the roof of the mouth ?

I have just had a CT scan for a lump in the roof of my mouth right upper jaw, report goes like this. Bony projection is seen rising from the inner aspect of the maxillary alveolar process adjacent to the right first molar and it is continuous with the cortex. It is keeping with a small osteoma. The maxillary teeth appear normal on this study. Incedentally there is prominent maxillary soft tissue thickening in keeping with sinonasal mucosal disease. I am 44 years of age and have no previous medical history in this area.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Follow-up: What causes lumps on the roof of the mouth ? 10 minutes later
No one is responding please tell me why
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later

The description of the CT scan report is very benign and non cancerous. Osteoma is a common bone lesion and most often is not worrisome. It just causes local problems. Unless you have any problems like difficulty chewing, airway blockage you should not be worried about it.

I just want to know the size of it and the duration of the growth. Was it an incidental finding? If yes, just observe the size of it and report it to the Oral Maxillary surgeon it it bleeds.

Soft tissue thickening and sinonasal mucus disease has no significance.

You have to understand a fact that a physician is more concerned if the person has trouble with it otherwise he does not treat just with the Lab findings.

Hope I answered your query.
Follow-up: What causes lumps on the roof of the mouth ? 11 hours later
The size is about 10-12mm by 8mm and pretrude aboout 3mm, it was incidental and does not bleed, I am hoping it is onlyexostosis.

Kind regards
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 7 hours later

I am not worried now. Keep a close watch on it.

Wish you Good Health