What causes lump on knees after total knee replacement?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
I had total knee replacement 2 years ago. Never got great range of motion but still real happy. I have noticed a large 3 in lump on the outside of the knee. It is painless, and hard. Has affected range of motion.
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Lump appears to be due to reaction to prostheses Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX Prostheses are basically instruments made up of metals. These metals are usually very inert but they may cause some inflammation over a period of time. Since, it is painless and hard, there is nothing to worry. However, you can consult your treating orthopedician for clinical examination of the lump. Some investigations like imaging, aspiration cytology may be required. After getting results of the investigations, the lump may have to be removed surgically. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal