What causes lump near labia minora?

Hello there, I have noticed two lumps on different parts on my body that I'm concerned about. One is on my labia minora it's very small and does not hurt but it is hard an the same colour as the skin. It was two months ago when I noticed it and got my got my gp to look when I got a smear test but she said she couldn't see anything so I just left it and thought it would go away however it's still there. What could this be? I have been with the same partner for six years however I'm on the pill so we don't use condoms my boyfriend does not have anything on his genitals. Is it possible to be an std? I'm really worried. If it was an std or hpv would this have shown on my smear results? The second lump I have is on my bikini line at the top it's not painful at all and you can't see it can only feel it when you push on the skin it moves around and is the size of a pea. This lump I have had checked and she said it was a lymph node but I get a bit worried about things like this so Im not sure if I should get it checked by another doctor or if what she has told me is right? Not quite sure what she means by a lymph node either but she said it was harmless.
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: It could be bartholin cyst Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to us. The lump near your labia minora could be bartholin cyst. Its a benign harmless cyst. It has no relation to HPV or human papilloma virus and is not a sexually transmitted infection. It is formed when bartholin gland gets blocked. As far as your second swelling in your inguinal area is concerned, it sounds like a lymph node only. The size is too small to be worried about. At times, lymph nodes can be palapable normally. Your gynaecologist would be the best person to confirm the diagnosis of these lumps. In my opinion, though these lump do not sound alarming but still a proper consultation should be taken from a specialist. Hope this helped. Take care
Follow-up: What causes lump near labia minora? 2 days later
Hi, Thank you for your answer. In regards to the bartholin cyst will this ever go away or will it get bigger and eventually have to be removed?
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 30 hours later
Brief Answer: It may increase in size and may need removal Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back. Bartholin cyst is usually asymptomatic and remain as such. But sometimes it may increase in size and can get painful while moving or during intimate physical contact. It can be easily removed by a technique known as marsupialisation. Hope this answered your query. Take care