What causes lump in tibialis anterior muscle and swollen glands in leg?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
I have a physician and have actually been to six different physicians since I started having this problem with my leg over a year ago now. I had a lump come up in the tibialis anterior muscle area which would make the area swell and be tender the more I was on it during the day. Over the past year the whole tibialis anterior muscle area started bulging - it spread in size over time. You can see it to the eye very easily. A few months ago I noticed swollen glands in the back of the same leg in the thigh area that were tender. I went to see a new doctor at this time because the last doctor I had seen wanted to send me to the Mayo Clinic. This doctor for the first time had a theory "RSD". I did happen to fall down the stairs at my home about one month prior to all of this starting up.... Now what I am worried about on top of the above mentioned is that I have a lump in my elbow crease and another one in my rib area on the right side. I have now been referred to a dermatologist but am wondering if this is the right direction. Also, my left hand - the same side as the lump in my elbow crease - has started going numb. It started with the finger tips and now at times it is my whole had feeling as if it is falling asleep and sort of cold.... Can you tell me what you think?
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Causes to numbed hand and lump as following.... Detailed Answer: Hi, Usually, the "RSD" (reflex sympathetic dystrophy) is diagnosed based on clinical evaluation and clinical findings. However, such condition is also associated with skin changes. If you had a prior history of falling down the stairs, a possible hematoma and local muscle/bones damages should be excluded. The lump in your elbow could be related to lipoma which can press the nearby nerves, which makes your hand going numbed. You can discuss with dermatologist to exclude lipoma and to run radiological examinations of the affected area. Hope it was of help! Dr.Bardha Feel free to ask me other questions you might have!