What causes lump in the crook of elbow with muscle cramps?

I have a lump in the crook of my left elbow...and I have been getting muscle cramps in my left arm if I move it in a certain motion..
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Lipoma, Sebeceous, Neurofibroma. X-Ray elbow. Detailed Answer: Hello, It is very difficult to diagnose the cause for the lump in elbow without examination and investigations like X-ray. Because the lump can be arising from underlying joint, bone or soft tissue like muscle and nerves even it could be blood vessels. It can be a lipoma, sebaceous cyst, neurofibroma, bursitis or bony process. Please answer my questions; I shall try narrowing the possibilities. How long do you have this swelling? Whether the swelling is in medial side or lateral side? Have had any injury in elbow recently or in some past? Does the swelling grows or increase in size? Whether the swelling is soft or firm or hard? Do you have any other similar lump else in the body or in other elbow? If possible, please take X-Ray of Elbow joint to rule out any bony enlargement. Waiting for you response..
Follow-up: What causes lump in the crook of elbow with muscle cramps? 16 hours later
Thank you for your reply. I have just noticed the swelling recently..It is located has pitting edema, and if I press on is very painful..and almost immediately goes into cramp..I work as Pediactric Home health nurse..and I lift a child who weighs 37, maybe it is a stress related issue?
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Lateral Epicondylitis. Rest, Pain killers,physioth Detailed Answer: Hello, All the symptoms suggest that you are suffering from Lateral epicondylitis. This is due to the overuse of veruse of arm, forearm, and hand muscles. There is a chronic subtle injury of the muscle and tendon area around the outside of the elbow. This can be confirmed by physical examination and range of motion in elbow joint. There is no need of further investigation like X-Ray. This can be treated by 1. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) like Ibuprofen, 2. Physiotherapy to strengthen the muscle around the elbow joint 3. Apply ice to the affected area. 4. Rest and avoid any activity that causes pain to the sore elbow. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.