What causes lump behind ears,dizziness,blurred vision and brain lesions?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014
Excellent

Radiologist
Question
Fem 40 yrs. i have this hard pea size lump behind my ear. Its doesnt hurt to touch. It doesnt move but very noticeable. I have new symptoms of dizzyness and some vision changes as well as a recent mri before i noticed this that reveals brain lesions. Im concerned because of the dizzyness i feel like im going to faint.
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Pea size lump may be due to enlarged lymph node. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Pea size lymph node behind your ear may be due to enlarged lymph node.It is the site of draining lymph nodes from head and neck.Usually it is due to benign reasons like scalp infection (due to dandruff,louse etc),infection in external ear etc. In most of the cases it doesn't require any treatment and it will resolve after some time.However other skin lesions like lipoma,neurofibroma etc need to be ruled out. It is important to know about brain lesions.If possible please upload MRI report/images so that i can interpret better. For dizziness,you need proper clinical history and examination.Dizziness can be due to many reasons like hypertension,hypoglycemia,migraine,stress etc. You need routine blood examination like routine hemogram,RBS,LFT,RFT,Lipid profile,Thyroid profile.Further investigations can be done if needed. Proper treatment depend upon clinical examination and investigation reports. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: What causes lump behind ears,dizziness,blurred vision and brain lesions? 6 minutes later
Hi sorry my name is XXXXXXX :-) I have to fix my profile. Here is my mri of the brain. Blood pressure is perfect. Low if anything. I do have a slight iron deficiency. Thyroid tests normal, lipids norm Chronic uveitis of left eye. Same side as my headaches. Spinal mri was neg for lesions. I dont have that one yet. .

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 15 hours later
Brief Answer: You need proper examination by neurologist. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for writing back For your dizziness problem,you should consult neurologist. Some times it is not easy to identify the underlying cause of dizziness. You need proper clinical examination. Is is fine that spinal MRI is normal.There are some hyperintense foci in white matter of brain,it may be due to demyelination or ischemic changes.You need follow up scan to see progression of lesions. Proper treatment depend upon clinical examination and investigation reports. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX