What causes lower pelvic pain before periods while on birth control?

May 2013
I am having severe lower pelvic pain two to three days prior to my peiod. I feel a very heavy pressure in my pelvic area and this worsens when I sit or get up quickly. At first I thought it was just trapped gas but I'm not constipated and I am passing gas just fine. Sometimes the shooting pains are an 8/10. It was brutally painful to have intercourse. When I try to strain or bare down I feel pain in my pelvis I am a registered nurse so I'm not overreacting. The past two months they were for two to three days and then Passed after my cycle was done, I have never had children and I had an abortion at 23. I am on birth control and recently had a Papp test in August with my full physical which was normal. I'm just really conserned.
Posted Sun, 2 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: Ultrasound Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Usually while being on birth control, severe dysmenorrhea is uncommon because they lead to anovulatory cycles. The possible causes for your problem are : - Pelvic inflammatory disease - Uterine causes like adenomyosis, fibroids, polyps etc. -Endometriosis So, once go for ultrasound. Though pap smear is negative, sometimes internal pelvic infection may be there. Ultrasound can help in finding out the possible cause for your problem. And treatment can be taken accordingly. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.
Follow-up: What causes lower pelvic pain before periods while on birth control? 24 hours later
Could I have olvarian cancer
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Ultrasound Detailed Answer: Hi, We cannot come to one conclusion without investigations. So, once go for ultrasound. Ultrasound helps in detecting any possible abnormality. After that if needed you can go for specific investigations. There may not be any serious problem, don't get tensed. Take care.