What causes lower left abdominal pain?

General Surgeon
Thank you. I developed a burning hot pain in my lower left flank 3 days ago. Thought it was related to constipation, but that has been ruled out. I am also 3 months into recovery from a 3 level Lynbar laminating with fusion.i have mild nausea also,no temp. I am 61 years old. My name is Pamala BERRY
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Diverticulitis. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thank you for the query. Lower left abdominal pain is usually caused by diverticulitis. This issue is caused by chronic constipation. Due to increased pressure in the large intestine some kind of pouches appear. When a piece of stool stuck in it, inflammation appears. In some cases inflammation can cause intetine perforation. That is why I suggest you to have some diagnostics. Abdominal ultrasound and blood work should be done. You should get antibiotics treatment. Colonoscopy should be sheduled. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.