What causes lower left abdominal pain?

General Surgeon
I am having a soreness in the left lower front qrandrant. when I push on it just above the waist line it is a sore feeling and I have had a hemroid for a week now
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Diverticulitis. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Lower left abdominal pain is quite characteristic for diverticulitis of sigmoid colon. This condition is caused by constipation (hemorrhoids are also caused by constipation). Due to increased pressure in the large intestine, some kind of pouches appears in the intestine wall. This pouches are thinner than regular wall. If the peace of stool stuck in such pouch, inflammation appears. Such inflammation can be serious as can result with intestine perforation. That is why I suggest you to visit your doctor. Blood work and abdominal ultrasound should be done. In case of elevated WBC (white blood cells), antibiotic should be prescribed. After inflammation healing you should have colonoscopy done. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.