What causes lower back pain?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Dear doc i need your help related to my lower back pain. Let me start my story, it was 8 yrs bck whn i started bodybuilding n i m not a professional bodybuilder but have apassion in bodybuilding. I m always excited to lift heavyweights but to my surprise i used to not hve back support belts nor i was keen in doing lower bck exercises. One fine day i was doing bent over row with 50 kilos n when i picked up n bent in tht position for a lift i got a slight pain on left side of lower back. I didnt come to knw at tht time but whn i returned home it was an unbearable pain as i couldnt sit gor long Then i spk to one orthopaedist n he gve some medicins n said ur bck is weak. I was relievd ftom pain at tht moment but whn i started doing my household work or when i sneeze early morning there is some immense pressure on my lower bck. Doc plz help me wat do i need to do to check is my bck alright. And also i stil hve passion for workout n i dont want to leave it so soon. I want yo learn abt my lower bck an book can u suggest how to protect ur lower bck
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Could be part of a mechanical back pain . Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query According to the clinical history provided the back pain could be part of a mechanical back pain complex of symptoms. This mechanical back pain is caused due to bad posture at work, heavy weight lifting, long work-hours in particular position, lack of proper sleep or healthy diet as well. I suggest you to try back strengthening exercises by extension of the back muscles which can be taught by your Orthopedician or Physiotherapist. This will help to relieve the possible muscle spasm which causes the pain. One must also rule out inflammatory disorders, for which I recommend you to get a X-ray of your spine after consulting with an Orthopedician. MRI can be taken in case you have any nerve compression symptoms or as deemed necessary by your Orthopedician. After a thorough physical examination by your Orthopedician, you may be prescribed pain killers and/or muscle relaxants which should give you relief. Physiotherapy may also be advised if necessary. I would suggest you to try swimming as this will help most in back conditions. Avoid weight bearing exercises. Do only mild aerobics which does not put your back to strain. You can discuss about this with your Gym instructor. Eat a diet rich in fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables, nuts, milk, eggs, pulses and cereals. Drink 1-2 litres of water daily. Do brisk walking exercise for 40 minutes daily. Get 6-8 hours of refreshing sleep daily. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Follow-up: What causes lower back pain? 4 hours later
Precaution is better than cure any books tht can be a guidance for my lower bck
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: following precautions for your lower back- Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX You are correct. Precaution is better than cure.For book on lower back you can search on internet. I suggest you following precautions for your lower back- • Lie on a hard bed. • Do not bend forward to lift things up, bend the knees and hips for that. • Correct your posture while sitting • Avoid prolonged sitting • Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.