What causes lower back pain and heart burn in a chronic alcoholic?

43-year old alcoholic male. Beer gut (upper body obesity), bloated face. 6'1 225 lbs. Fatigued. Constant athletes foot! (But has to wear steel-toed boots for work). Has had 2 bouts of pneumonia in past 3 years. Seems to have colds and sore throats often, but can usually still go to work. Moody. Urine is more orange than yellow/clear. Complains of lower back pain and heart burn on occassion. Has been drinking beer on a regular basis for approx 27 years, but has become worse (50-70 beers a week) in last 5 years. Refuses to see a doctor. I am thinking he may have cushings disease and probably has for some time (3-5 years ago is when the face became noticably 'fat'). If he does have Cushings disease, what is the prognosis if untreated?
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Could be Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Yes, based on the description of the symptoms you provided Cushing's disease can be considered a possibility. The prognosis of the same depends on the levels of cortisol in blood. More the levels bad is the prognosis. Also, considering the chronic alcoholism I would suggest you to consider another possible diagnosis here. Alcoholic liver disease, in here ascites can also present with what appears like truncal obesity. I would recommend you to get the serum cortisol and Liver function tests done to rule out the same. Regards,