What causes lower abdominal pain?

General Surgeon
Every 15 to 20 minutes last night I would wake up with stomach pain. Now I am up this morning and I have no pain but still do not feel right. I did have a bout of diverticulitus and was on antibiotics for 7 days (two weeks ago). The pain from that was in my lower abdomen. This pain is in the stomach area. I have acid reflux and a hiatal hernia.
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Your symptoms can be caused by some food intolerance/mild food poisoning which has irritated the stomach. It may also happen if you have had some stress recently. It does not seem to be diverticulitis pain. Acid reflux and hiatal hernia (if are present for a long time) should be controlled from time to time. Its because this condition can lead to chronic inflammation which in some cases can make you prone to stomach or esophageal cancer. Sometimes such nonspecific abdominal pain can be a first symptom of a cancer. That is why I suggest you to consult your doctor and get scheduled for gastroscopy. In a meanwhile please have a mild diet. Avoid fatty foods spicy foods, fried foods, alcohol, coffee, fruit juices and chocolate. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.