What causes lower abdominal pain anlong with leg cramps and constipation while having diverticyliis?

General Surgeon
I have pain in thelower abdomen; I also have diverticyliis. the pain is sometimes more than I can bear. Have been to the doctor on 2 antibiotis, but today I noticed not going to the bathroom much, drinking lots of water. also my legs are cramping really bad
Posted Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Treating associated constipation also important Detailed Answer: Namaste Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day I assume not going to bathroom means not passing stools. Chronic Diverticulitis sometimes may cause fecal impaction and leading on to constipation. I would suggest you to see your physician for reassessment of your symptoms and further investigation like 1. Erect X-ray abdomen- it will rule out loaded colon and fecal impaction as the cause of symptoms 2. Ultrasound of abdomen- it will rule out other associated causes, as you don't seem to respond to antibiotics, so I would like to consider other alternative diagnosis and rule it out. Also I would suggest the following for management of Diverticulitis 1. Water- atleast 2 to 3 liter per day 2. High Fiber diet- include 2 servings of vegetable salad and 2 servings of fruit especially citrus fruits 3. Avoid low fiber diet - They will cause constipation and aggravate symptoms of Diverticulitis. Treatment of Diverticulitis involves not just use of antibiotic, but also addressing issue of constipation and low fiber diet-which usually is cause of persistence of pain in diverticulitis. Just consumption of plain water without adequate intake of electrolyte either with water or food may cause cramps due to electrolyte disturbances. I would advise you to drink lime water with pinch of salt added instead of plain water. I hope it helped. Would be glad to assist you if you need any further assistance Take care Regards Dr Deepak XXXXXXX MBBS,MS,MCh Consultant Surgeon