What causes lower abdominal pain and thin pencil like stools?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
I recently was diagnosed at the ER with diverticulitis in November. After two weeks of flagyl and fluoroquinolones and clear fluids I felt somewhat better but not great. Two weeks ago I was back in the doctors office with another sever attack. I was back on antibiotics and anti nausea meds along with pain meds. I went 5 days without moving my bowels, probably from clear fluids for 8days. My stool now is extremely thin like pencil thin and is a rope like string that is very long (0ver 12-15 inches). It's not mucus but rather pink veiny looking with dark oval small granules of stool psoriatic all attached like seaweed...for the lack of better explanation. My stomach is still very tender and bloated. I'm worried I don't feel well and under great stress from sitting bedside with my dying friend (cancer). What should I be concerned about and how do I treat etc... Thank you XXXX
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Colonoscopy and biopsy required Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query on HealthCareMagic. Re-appearance of the lower abdominal pain suggests another attack of diverticulitis. The cause of this attack has to be found out. As you have mentioned that you have been on antibiotics, intake of antibiotics is associated with infection with a bacteria called Clostridium. This organism causes a condition called Pseudomembranous colitis. Pseudomembranous colitis is characterized by diarrhea. A colonoscopy may be required for examination of the gut. A biopsy from the gut may be required to know the status of the gut. In case the above mentioned lesion is present, it will show up on the microscopy. If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer. Dr Shailja P Wahal