What causes low pulse rate?

I'm wondering if I need to worry about my pulse as it's been as low 39 (3 times) but is usually in the 40s or 50s. I recently started taking atenolol (already been taking 3 other hypertension meds) which I know lowers the pulse. The atenolol has maybe lowered it a bit but my bp was as low as 43 before the atenolol and has been low for many months now. I have no symptoms of a problem from low heart rate and in good shape going to the gym regularly.
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Nothing to be worried about if no complain... Detailed Answer: Hi, I am glad to know that you are in a good shape and that you go to the gym regularly. Usually, it is normal for the heart rate to be as low as in your case in athletic people as you. This is nothing to be worried about it as long as you do not have any complains and feeling great. Once you notice anything unusual or complain, please report it to you doctor to take proper measures in time. Hope it answered to your query! Dr.Benard
Follow-up: What causes low pulse rate? 2 hours later
$18 well spent. My doctor (who I have a lot of faith in) said basically the same thing. ty!
Brief Answer: Glad to know I was of help! Detailed Answer: Hi again, Glad to know I got your satisfaction. All the best! Dr.Benard