What causes low potassium levels in repeated blood tests?

i have a surgery (back) sch for next wed the 18th and my repeated blood test show me at a low (2.7-3.1) levels of potassium and anesthesiologist refuses to do surg unless my levels are up.. i am freaking out.. doc prescribed Klor -com M20 2x daily and retest blood the morning of.. I am going to get a retest on monday to see if 2 days of the rx have helped at all.. what do you think.. will they have improved?.. I have been eating tons of spinach, chicken, eggs, almond milk, tomatoes XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer: It should have, although may be not by much Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing in. Well the potassium syrup and high potassium diet should have contributed in raising your serum potassium levels. Your level (i.e. 2.7-3.1) is not far from the lower limit of normal, and should be attainable soon. I am sure your potassium levels would have gone up by now, but the levels do not increase rapidly, so being optimistic would be expecting a level of 3.5, hoping this is the case. Wishing you all the luck you need and more. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.