What causes low platelet count and elevated liver enzymes after C section?

May 2013
My sister had pph after c section and the doctor tied the arteries inside the uterus. Now her platelet count is dropping. It reached 80 fro 214 in 12 hrs time. Hwr liver enzymes are also elevatwd to around 55. Doctors suspecring Hellp. Now waiting for d dimer and LDH test reports. What care should be given. Please advice. Appreciate a quick reply.
Posted Sun, 2 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Transfusion of platelets, coagulation factors Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Pregnant women with preeclmpsia (hypertension, proteinuria etc) are more prone for HELLP syndrome. HELLP syndrome usually presents with -Hemolysis -Elevated liver enzymes -Low platelet count According your history and as platelet count dropped to less than 1 lakh there is possibility of HELLP as your doctors suspecting. Positive d dimer and elevated LDH levels help in coming to one conclusion regarding the diagnosis. The possible steps that can be taken are: -Transfusion of fresh frozen plasma -Platelet transfusion -Blood transfusion -Antihypertensives to treat the possible accompanying hypertension -Intravenous fluid infusion -If your doctor suggests go for steroid administration Promptly and effectively treated patients are having high survival rate. Wish speedy recovery of your sister. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer follow up queries. If you are satisfied with the answer please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.