What causes low libido?

We use to have a very active sex life but more and more each year, for last 3 years or so, I have lost more and more interest in sex. I don't like that because it use to bring a great deal of XXXXXXX I loved sex....I would rather be that person I use to be then now and not interested. I have had a few affairs, with and without my husband knowing. I enjoy others a bit more because its new person, but still I don't have the drive I once had.
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Multiple problems lead to Low S desire Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress. Important aspects of your query are: • 48 year old female • Known case of some/mild depression • History of healthy sexual life • Complaints of: lack of sexual drive (Low Libido) for 3 years. Low libido can be a result of a psychological or physical problem. Psychological causes: include stress, anxiety, depression, marital or relationship problems, low mood, feelings of guilt, and the effects of a past sexual and emotional trauma. Physical causes: Include neurological disorders, alcoholism, drug abuse, hormonal imbalances (including: testosterone, thyroid, prolactine and estrogen), diabetes, hypertension, blood vessel disease and chronic diseases. You also reported some depression which is one of the common cause of low libido in your age group. In cases of depression, its treatment lead to improvement in libido. You are already receiving Buspar. It is good for anxiety and as add on medicine with antidepressants like Mirtazapine or Bupropion. Your age is 48 years. Which indicate you are near menopause. In this age female go lots of hormonal change which lead to low libido. Following steps will help you in treatment: -First of all, quit smoking and alcohol (if you are taking any). Take caffeine (tea, coffee and cold drinks) as less as possible. -Eat a healthy diet rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants: fruits, milk and eggs -Exercise, particularly aerobic exercise (like: Jogging, skipping and cycling) daily. It will increase blood flow all over body and will reduce stress. -Assessment and treatment of hormonal imbalance by Gynecologist. I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups. Wish you good health. Regards,