What causes low apetite, weakness and blood in the feces? How soon the transplantation needs implementation?

hi - I have question(s) for you. 1. Why is XXXXXXX walking so weak, almost impossible to walk. How to improve this? 2. Why is XXXXXXX not motivated to eat anything, How to improve this? 3. Is there a way to stabilize his life? Should Kidney doctor tells me the truth for the condition and what rights and laws do I have to know what is the future consequence of XXXX? 4. Today, XXXXXXX had his bathroom but his feces came out with blood. Is this something should I be alerted about? What can I do next? XXXXXXX went to gastroenterologist and he was prescribed RANITIDINE 150 MG AND he takes 1 tablet mou8th twice day, I wonder ranitidine helps XXXXXXX or should go to endoscopist or other specialist. XXXXXXX sometimes drink whey protein by NEPRO with dialysis two or three times once a day not everyday he should eat more protein more than 10 oz 5. Which way can I apply Transplantation program in fast way for all places to have XXXXXXX in their name list? by his wife. We live STaten Island, NY Thank you,
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Prasad 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Need lots of information... Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX I understand you are concerned about XXXX medical condition and you are right in seeking information on HealthcareMagic. 1. I would definitely give you my opinion as you provide enough information about XXXX medical condition. I need to know what medical problem XXXXXXX is being treated for. Weakness and lack of appetite can be from wide spectrum of conditions ranging from nutritional deficiency, infection, metabolic abnormalities, side effect of medicine and systemic organ pathology. 2. Based on the information provided, I would guess XXXX is suffering with end stage renal disease requiring renal transplant. If this is what XXXXXXX is dealing with then the lack of appetite and weakness is most likely related to higher amount of creatinine and waste products in the blood. Besides the metabolic change, co-existing infection and the mental effect of chronic illness could be adding up to his current state. 3. Without an opportunity to examine XXXXXXX and the right information - detailed history and laboratory investigations, I understand the above answer could be generic. However I don't think the doctors have rights not to disclose the complete information about XXXXXXX Given that you are a close family member, I encourage you to meet XXXX treating physician, learn about his present condition, the state of renal functions and prognosis. 4. If the feces was stained with bright blood it is most likely from the lower gut, perhaps from long standing and constipated stool. If this is an one time occurrence I would just add stool softener after discussing with the treating nephrologist for the management. I would not be concerned if stool is not dark brown (altered blood) and subsequent stools are clear from blood. Continue with Ranitidine. Endoscopy can be withheld until XXXX general condition improves. 5. As I practices very far away from 'States', I am sorry I would not be the right person to answer the last question. You could discuss about how soon the transplant needs implementation and the right place to look for with the nephrologist when you visit to discuss about XXXX condition. Hope I have provided you with some information that you can work on and help XXXXXXX recover. Let me know if you need any more information. Best Regards PS: Dietary recommendation is based on thyroid function state. I recommend my patients with underactive thyroid to restrict spinach, cabbage, cauliflower, soyabean, peaches, strawberry, peanuts, broccoli, brusels, flax seeds and other goitrogenic food. Protein restriction is recommended if renal system is failing too.