What causes loss of taste and smell when suffering from upper respiratory infection?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
Hello I have lost both taste and smell was using Flixonase for a nose infection (have now stopped using) 3 days but have been on Amoxycillin 500gm 3 times daily since Sunday 4 1/2 days for Bronchitis and still have 2 1/2 days left. Lost taste and smell from Monday midday 3 days ago. Will this come back after I finish antibiotics. Missing my wine no taste so why waste.XXXX
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 26 minutes later
hello and welcome to health care magic, I am Dr Sriram Nathan an ENT surgeon and I will try to help you out with your problem. You must understand that what you are feeling is perfectly normal and when anyone has an upper respiratory infection with nose block and is on antibiotics, a loss of taste and smell is expected. The good news is that this is temporary in most of the cases and once you complete the course of antibiotics and the nose block improves, your senses will return. Meanwhile you can do these for early recovery: - take only warm food and fluids - do steam inhalation with menthol or other vaporizer at least three times in a day for a week or so - take a multivitamin with zinc like ZINCOVIT in consultation with your doctor. This will make sure your recovery is soon - take lots of green leafy vegetables and soup -complete the course of medications as advised by your doctor for proper and complete recovery Hope you recover soon and hope your doubts are clear. If you have any more you can always ask me and I will be happy to help you out regards Dr Sriram Nathan
Follow-up: What causes loss of taste and smell when suffering from upper respiratory infection? 22 minutes later
I am on holiday away from my dr as I do t have menthol to inhale what could I replace this with from a supermarket no pharmacy where we are staying
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 9 minutes later
hello again, For inhalation you can use anything like eucalyptus oil or menthol lotions or even a simple vaporub. Even if you do not get these you can still just use plain steam which will do the work just as well Hope this helps regards Dr Sriram Nathan