What causes loss of feeling in tips of finger in cold weather?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
what causes loss of feeling in tips of finger in cold weather
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be poor blood supply

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for your question.

There is condition called Raynaud's phenomenon in which there is decrease blood supply to the fingers during cold weather with change in colour and pain and decrease sensation in the fingers until they get warm again.

Another cause is smoking which can cause decrease blood supply to the tips of the fingers.

There are also some other conditions associated with cold weather which can cause similar symptoms to the fingers.

I hope I have answered you question adequately.

kind regards