What causes loss of breath and palpitations?

Hi. So I have had a heart palpitations. They poked, prodded, and everything else with me. I have gotten EKG, ECG, and blood tests they all came back normal. Almost everyday I have a few what feels like extreme heart beats or skipped beats. I sometimes loose my breath for a second and feel like I have to cough to get them back in line sometimes I get slightly lightheaded but never have passed out or anything. The doctors said they were benign. I have had these for quite a few years. I am just worried that they either haven't discovered something, some type of blockage, or it is going to do damage to my heart. I am 24 years old and healthy with nothing else wrong. What do you think?
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: Further cardiac test needed for final conclusions. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your medical history and feel sorry for the situation you are in. What you are experiencing is a normal reaction to the "skipped" heartbeats (premature heart beat) associated with consequent heart pauses. They will not cause damages to your heart as long as the tests you ran resulted normal. I also suggest to run: - Cardiac echo - Holter monitoring - Stress test in order to exclude heart problems. If everything is ok, then, should not be worried about. I also advise to: - avoid caffeine/carbonated/energetic drinks - avoid alcohol - keep physically active - eat healthy Hope it was of help! Dr.Benard Feel free to ask me other questions you might have!
Follow-up: What causes loss of breath and palpitations? 32 minutes later
Thanks!! :) They did an Echo and it was alright too. Same with the stress test and holter. I guess my real question is if I were to have maybe a few skipped beats every single day doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong? Like no damage will be done?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 17 hours later
Brief Answer: If cardiac tests are normal,nothing to worry... Detailed Answer: Hi back, Thank you for following up. It does not necessarily mean that something is wrong with you if you experience a few skipped beats every single day. No damage will be done to your heart or your body. As long as the cardiac tests are normal, there is nothing to be worried about. All the best! Dr.Benard