What causes loss of apetite and weight loss?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My son XXXX who is 12 years old has been suffering from loss of appetite for last 45 days and has lost about 5 kg of weight during this period. He now weighs 38 kg. He has had one loose motion a day for the last 5 days. He is allergic to dust and pollen and also had nose bleeds on some occasions in the past. His loss of appetite and loss of weight and loose motion is getting me worried. his blood haemogram , LFT & KFT report is attached. Password for opening this file is WALIA. His full abdomen ultrasound report is atached. His temperature rise upto 98.7 TO 98.9 deg F after about 45 minutes of having a meal. It then goes down to 98.1 after about 2 hours
Posted Fri, 28 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 8 hours later
Brief Answer: listed Detailed Answer: Hi, Of course he weight loss of 5 kgs in 6,weeks is a cause of concen.! But he has no significant fever except the small rise in temp mentioned! Otherwise the first thought will be to rule out tuberculosis in view of the symptoms and ultrasound findings of few mesenteric lymph nodes. As per reports,.mostly The siginifacant abnormalities are , Lymph nodes in scan Slightyly high ESR I suggest, Chest xray Mantoux Biopsy of lymph node if any peripheral nodes are palpable on examination. Record his temp and note. Change his food to his liking Is there any underlying psychological cause?peer pressure? ( investigate carefully!!) God bless Dr UMA
Follow-up: What causes loss of apetite and weight loss? 2 hours later
Dear Doctor, I have uploaded the X-Ray Report as well. With regard to your question that whether there is any underlying psychological peer pressure, I would like to mention that Arjan's height is about 4 feet 8 1/2 inches and he weight was about 44 kg before. There are a couple of his classmates who call him short, due to which he gets disturbed. Can such a situation result in enlarged mesentric lymph nodes? Also can such a situation result in loss of appetite/loose motion?
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: no Detailed Answer: Hi, Glad x-ray is normal. Reg peer pressure it can co tribute to depression and loss of appetite and loose stools. However you mentioned that he passes stool only once a day.! Mesenteric lymph nodes are few and small and that is not related to psychological problem at all!!!! Pl get an opinion from a pediatric gastroenterologist! I do not think as of now there is anything to worry from the test results!!! Give him positive thoughts reg height. He still has the age to grow!!!! Talk to him how he should ignore other's comments and come up in life ! ------ he has a long way to go in studies and career! God bless Dr uma
Follow-up: What causes loss of apetite and weight loss? 5 minutes later
Doctor, Are the symptoms indicative of cancer or anything of that sort. Also I did mention that he passes loose stools once a day,but he also passes at least one other normal motion during the day. Regards
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Brief Answer: very unlikely! Detailed Answer: Hi, Hopefully not! First rule out simpler things like tuberculosis! Sometimes simple viruses can also cause lymph node enlargement. Normal ultrasound organs is a good sign! Do not worry God bless Dr uma