What causes loose stools and vomiting after taking Azithral for fever?
User rating for this question
My daughter was prescribed Azithral for 5 days as she had a fever. After the 5 day course she has had loose stools and has been vomiting for the past 3 days. While the loose stools have gone, she has been vomiting once a day in those 3 days. She does not have a fever and she seems quite active. Should i be concerned?
Posted Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Relax Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for writing to us. I understand your concern. Relax,gastrointestinal upset is common side effect of antibiotics especially azithromycin. But it is self limiting and settles in couple of days after stopping antibiotic. Since there is no fever and she is active so no need to worry. Give her soft bland diet and plenty of fluids. Avoid all kind of junk food. Hope I have answered your question,let me know if there is any further question I would be glad to help. Wishing your child good health. God bless....
Follow-up: What causes loose stools and vomiting after taking Azithral for fever? 3 minutes later
Thank you for the quick response! The reason I am worried is because she hasn't settled in 3 days now. Is it necessary to do any blood tests or any such thing?
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: relax. Detailed Answer: Thanks for your follow up. No blood test is required as I said azithromycin causes gastritis. In case it is persistant get her examined by pediatrician. In the meantime anti emetic like domperidone can be given in prescribed dosage 0.2mg/kgbody weight 8hourly. Most important is to watch her activity/urine output/feeding pattern. Let me know if there is any further query. Take care.....
People also viewed
- What causes vomiting and body chill with fever
- Child have stomach infection vomiting and loose motion
- Prostate cancer and back pain
- What causes fever and foamy stools
- What treatment is suggested for submucous cleft palate
- What is the cause of fever after taking phenosymethyipenicillin
- Causes of vomiting without fever
- What is the cause of fever after an injury
- Back pain hepatitis c symptom
- Cause for sudden fever along with drenching sweat
- Suggest treatment for upper respiratory tractinfection with fever
- What causes severe back pain
- What are the possible treatments for fever
- Causes of severe back pain
- Middle back and chest pain