What causes loose motion,indigestion and bloating?

General Surgeon
Hi, Doctor. I am a thirty year old male, who has been suffering from stomach problems for over two years now. The problems seem to occur in phases, and in each phase, I suffer from loose motion, indigestion and bloating. My doctor seems to think that I have IBS, and a colonoscopy a year ago revealed nothing. She suggest eating food high in fiber content, but the episodes continue to happen.
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Possibility of Giardiasis to be considered Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day The diagnosis of Irritable bowel disease (IBD) is arrived after thoroughly evaluating the individual with individuals directed towards finding cause of such symptoms. If no cause is found out, it's then labelled as irritable bowel syndrome. It's a diagnosis of exclusion. I hope you have been throughly investigated including an Upper gastrointestinal and lower gastrointestinal endoscopy. Also based on your symptoms I would consider possibility of Giardiasis as cause of symptoms. Diagnosis can be made by stool examination and serological test . Many of my patients who have tested negative for it also, do respond to 7 day course of Metronidazole. So a trial of Metronidazole is worth a try. Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Surgeon
Follow-up: What causes loose motion,indigestion and bloating? 13 hours later
Hi, Thank you for your reply. When such episodes have occurred in the past, I have tried Metronidazole, but it hasn't really helped. On top of that, I do not seem to respond well in general to metronidazole, and get severe nausea. I had tried Ofloxacin + Ornidazole a few times too, but even that hasn't always worked.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Consumption of curd will be beneficial Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day I would suggest you the following diet modification and suggestions which will definitely go a long way in helping you with this problem 1. Identify and avoid food stuffs causing and precipitating your complaint 2. Avoid legumes/pulses : they produce gases and cause bloating sensation 3. Consume plenty of oral fluids: maintain water intake of 2 to 3 liter a day 4. Consumption of yoghurt and curd: They contain lactobacillus: will act like natural probiotic and colonize the gut with lactobacillus preventing colonisation by disease causing microorganisms. 5. Consume High fiber diet 6. AVOID : Product containing refined wheat flooR These will definitely go a long way in helping you. Wishing you a very happy and healthy life. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore