What causes long and heavy periods during perimenopause?

May 2013
I am a 51 year old female and have had regular menstrual cycles. My current menstrual cycle has lasted a month and has gone from minor spotting to a longer than usual menstrual cycle. Should I have this looked at by my physician or is this simply the start of menopause?
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Better to get evaluated Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. During perimenopausal period some amount of fluctuation in hormones is common. And that can lead to menstrual irregularity. But by considering your age and as you had prolonged menstrual period, better to get evaluated once to rule out any serious problem. Consult gynecologist, get examined and go for ultrasound. If everything is normal, no need to worry. Possibly you may attain menopause. If examination or/and ultrasound detect any abnormality, treatment can be taken accordingly. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.