What causes light pink spotting?

I just notice a small amount of light pink spotting on toilet tissue. I am 59 years old and 3 years ago had a D&C done with no abnormalities coming back. The reason I had the D&C was that I noticed that I as having a very watery secretion from the vagina and was concerned what it was.
Posted Fri, 7 Mar 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Saul Weinreb 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Thank you for using HCM, I will do my best to help Detailed Answer: There are many possible causes of vaginal spotting at your age, and fortunately most of them are benign and easy to treat. However, the biggest worry is of course uterine cancer. It is highly unlikely that this is your problem, especially since you had a negative D&C three years ago, but it is still possible, and conditions that can lead to cancer such as hyperplasia can cause bleeding as well. For this reason, you should see your gynecologist for an exam, and probably an ultrasound and biopsy as well. Most likely everything will be fine, but I wouldn't risk it. especially since it is usually easily treated when it is caught early. Other possibilities include bleeding from a polyp, bleeding due to irritation in the vagina due to lack of estrogen, infection, or bleeding in your bladder. Sometimes we can never quite figure out what caused the spotting, but at least we can make sure that it isn't serious. I hope this was helpful, please let me know if you have any more questions.
Follow-up: What causes light pink spotting? 2 days later
Dear Dr. Weinreb, I just wanted to thank you for your response. The part of your answer that says "sometimes we can never quite figure out what caused the spotting" was very insightful. I have gone to several doctors and they just don't seem that concerned about things once the tests have come back negative, but they never give me something to hang my hat on. So I thank you for that information. I went to the doctor yesterday and he couldn't see any bleeding during the examination and I am scheduled to have an ultrasound on Monday. Thank you again, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Saul Weinreb 8 hours later
Brief Answer: You're welcome! It is my privilege Detailed Answer: Hi, Over the years, I have learned that some "mysteries" are never solved! and it always makes sense to explain that to my patients. I am so happy that you found my answer to be reassuring. I wish you only the best and please let me know if you ever need anything I can help with!