What causes light headedness and numbness in hand?

diagnosed with costocronditits and have been struggling recently. in my opinion the pain has changed. I have been lightheaded for 2 days solid. my hands feel numb also. My doctor seems to think I have vertigo? ive had 3 ecg tests and a stress test. is there a possibility its heart related? im on medication for high blood pressure which hasent brought the blood pressure down
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Consult ENT / Have a Holter Detailed Answer: Dear friend, Welcome to Health Care Magic Light headedness is vague term; unsteadiness... If there is definite sense of rotation, it is vertigo. If it is from getting up from bed, it may be from postural hypo-tension.. Did you check your BP – standing and lying? It can be from anaemia – what is your haemoglobin? The body's balancing mechanism is in the inner ear. An ENT (Ear Nose Throat) specialist is the one to see - they have special tests to confirm or exclude the contribution of the ear. particularly so with tinnitus. If the ear is excluded, you have to be followed up by a neurologist. / MRI of brain and neck (spine) may be needed. MRA (MRI angiography) shows blood vessels and is generally done at the same sitting. If there are no clues, you have to be investigated by a Cardiologist! It is reassuring to know that Stress test is excludes reduced blood supply as the cause. HOLTER - 24 to 48 hour ambulatory monitoring – for arrhythmia may be necessary for further assessment and assistance. Undiagnosed arrhythmia could cause vertigo For control of pressure, the dose of Ramipril may have to be increased… A second drug (even a third) may be added, later on… You are taking two antidepressants…they also could be contributing to light headedness… Discuss with your doctor / the number or dose can be reduced / changed? Good luck Take care Wishing all well God bless