What causes light-headedness and high pulse post a workout ?

Ran 3 miles on treadmill today, immediately after I was light-headed, had tingling in my arms, pulse of 150, could not sit or stand. I ran this 3 miles after completing 2 commercial flights today from Denver to Cleveland. I had to lay flat on my back for 30 minutes before I could sit or stand. I feel fine now. This has never happened to me before.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 31 minutes later

Light headed feeling, tingling in arms can be due to various factors.

In your case, first of all, you had 2 flights and it can cause Orthostatic Hypotension.Then if you did not eat anything since long and exercised, it could have caused low blood sugar contributing to it. Another possibility is any ear infection along with uncontrolled BP.

1)Consider monitoring your BP recordings 3 to 4 times a day for at least 3 days.

2)Have some snack at least 2 hours before exercise.

3)While exercising keep having sips of water and later drink lots of water to prevent dehydration.

4)After work out do some cooling exercises.

If you continue to have these symptoms stop exercising immediately and lay down.

If the BP readings are on the higher side and symptoms persist consider visiting your Physician for evaluation and you might require tests for examining your heart and lungs function.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up query in case of doubt.