What causes light bleeding inspite of negative pregnancy result?

Hi I have been TTC for three months now. I ovulated a little later than usual this month by a few days. Was supposed to be my period yesterday but have just been spotting pink/brow/red and when I go to the bathroom I think I will start my period because blood comes out by then it stops and is just spotting again. I have taken 2 pregnancy tests both negative. What could this be?
Posted Thu, 20 Mar 2014 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: implantation bleeding vrs menstrual cycle Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic It would either be implantation bleeding (since you are trying to conceive) or the onset of your period. Implantation bleeding is normally lighter in colour and reduced in flow compared normal menstrual vaginal bleeding. Pregnancy tests, which detect the HCG hormone, are accurate if done 11 to 14 days after conception. The quantity of HCG hormone released increases as a pregnancy progresses but by 11 to 14 days, enough should be present to be detectable by most tests. Some tests can detect lower levels and can be used earlier, these are early detection kits. If the tests were done in this time frame or were early detection kit that can detect low levels, then they are likely accurate and implantation bleeding is unlikely. In that case, since your period is due around this time, the bleeding may represent the start of your menstrual cycle. A cycle can vary from one to the next. Women may sometimes experience menstrual bleeding that is lighter than their normal. Different factors can impact on the flow of blood seen. It can take a few months , in some couples , for conception to occur. It is only after a year of trying that any medical tests or intervention is normally suggested. I hope this helps, please feel free to ask any additional questions
Follow-up: What causes light bleeding inspite of negative pregnancy result? 13 minutes later
If the onset of my normal period does not come in the next few days, and I continue to get negative pregnancy test, what might that signify if anything?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: different possible causes Detailed Answer: HI The other causes of delayed , irregular or lighter bleeding are: extreme physical activity, abnormal levels of thyroid hormone, emotional stress, physical stress or illness, high levels of a hormone called prolactin. Feel free to ask anything else