What causes legs cramp at night?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My legs cramp up at night and sometimes during the day. Travels from my calves to the bottom of my feet.
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Muscle cramps can be reduced by following measures Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. Muscle cramps can be reduced by Massaging the cramped muscle with your hands or oil. Drinking plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration. Stretching your leg muscles or riding a stationary cycle. Taking diet rich in calcium and potassium or oral supplements of the same. Check your vit B12 and Vit D 3 levels. Till time, avoid exertion, you can consult physiotherapist for help. For knee osteoarthritis you can start cartilage protecting medication like chondritin sulphate that you need to take for couple of months. If required MRI knee can be done and if there is severe destruction of menisci then arthroscopic shaving can be done. Physiotherapy like ultrasound and tens will help, along with knee exercises. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care