What causes leg swelling when suffering from high BP?

I have hereditary hemachromatosis with elevated liver levels (AST, ALT both 100). I also have high blood pressure among a few other (I believe unrelated) conditions. Last night, I fell asleep watching TV and when I woke about an hour later, my feet and legs, up to my thigh, were swollen so much that the skin was tight and I was unable to even bend at the knee. Since I am not a fan of running to seek medical care, I just went to bed. It has subsided somewhat today, and my skin is now pliable again, although still have swelling in toes and ankles. Do I need to be concerned, or is this something I should just mention in my next check-up?
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for posting your query on HCM. Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that it cannot be said whether it was related to your conditions but then in my opinion you should get a check up with your doctor , Since you said you have hypertension and hereditary hemochromatosis , both can affect the heart and the swelling in legs can be a sign of decreased heart functioning . But that can be established after doing a 2 D ECHO for this , If you ask me I would recommend to see your treating doctor regarding this . Take care. Dr. Shruti