What causes leftsided headaches with eye pain and tooth pain?

Nov 2013

Hi my name is XXXX . I am having one side left side headache since two years now. It started paining my left eye ,left head top , and left tooth also . Started taking pain killers . Did help at start . But ut reoccured in 15 20 days . Then went to a neurologist after 2 months .tried eliwel 10 mg . It helped me . Took it for 5 -6 months . and had no headache ,although felt drowzy in day ,and when skipping the tablet , headache would return . And one day , eliwel stopped working . Another neurologist suggested 25mg topaz with 25mg sensival . I took it for another 6 months . It helped , but it again started making me feel drowsy , weight loss , hair fall etc . I kept on taking the tablet for 3 -4 months . then started taking half of both and feeling good for another 2 months as full tablet was making me full drowsy. But again ,the headaxhe started and it doesnt go by 25mg topaz and 25 mg sensival also now. My mri was clean. I had vitamin d deficiency,which is ok now . There was no thyroid problem. I have tooth decay on the left top row ?but can this be the reason fir the constabt headache at the left top of my head? the tooth doesnt pain . It pains some time . I have also tried , having proper sleep, eating properly ,excercising etc . I dont have any vomiting ,or sensitivity to ligt sound etc ,but i do have difficult in thinking and always feel like resting . because of all time headache Please help. This constant headache at one side has already ruined my life and career.
Posted Thu, 27 Mar 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Medications would help you get better. Detailed Answer: Hi Mr XXXXXXX Thank you for posting your query. I have noted your symptoms and the treatment received so far. The symptoms suggest a diagnosis of muscle tension headache. Migraine is unlikely as you do not have nausea or vomiting and there is no increased sensitivity to light or noise. The response to medications such as eliwel (amitriptyline) and sensical (nortriptyline) also favour a diagnosis of tension headache. Normal MRI of brain is a good news, as it rules out all serious problems in the brain. Your symptoms are also unrelated to tooth decay. I would suggest you take PROTHIADEN tablets. The usual starting dose of this medicine is 25 mg taken at bedtime and based on the response, the dose can be increased to 50 mg or 75 mg at bedtime. Sedation/drowsiness is lesser with this medicine and there are no other side effects. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG: